Resources for Reading respects your privacy!
Your privacy is safe with us.
- We will never share or sell your personal information with anyone else. We do not sell or rent out mailing lists. You will never be bombarded with junk mail and other advertising because someone got your name from us.
- We will use your phone number only for following up on trouble with an order you have placed with us, or to return your call with information in response to your inquiry. We will never interrupt your dinner with an unsolicited sales call!
- We never give out your name, address, purchasing history, or other personal information to any other company or mailing list for marketing or sales purposes. Period.
What we do:
- We collect information about our customers, in the normal course of doing business. For example, we need your name and address to send your order to you, your phone number to call you if there is a problem with your order, and your credit card number if you are paying that way.
- If you ask us to ship your order to a different address (for example, ship your order to your school address, but bill to the home address on your credit card), then of course we need to have that ship-to address or we can't send your order as you request.
- We do share your name and address with the shipping company (UPS, FedEx, or the US Post Office) so that your order can be delivered to you.
- We hope that if you order from us, whether on a personal order or on a school purchase order shipped to you, then you would appreciate receiving updated catalogs once or twice a year. We use your name and address to send you our catalog when a new one comes out. We prefer to send the catalog to your home address, rather than your school address, because we have found that it is less likely to go astray that way. So if we have only your school address (perhaps from a purchase order), then we will mail the catalog to that address. Otherwise, if you give us both your home address and your school address, we will mail the catalog to your home address.
- If you have your order shipped to someone else (perhaps as a gift), then we will add that name and address to our list to get a new catalog. If you do not want that, just say so in the "Comments or Special Instructions" box at the checkout stand when you place your order.
- If at any time you want to be removed from our mailing list, just call or write and we'll take you off.
- We require your email address when you order in our Web Store so that we can send email to you in connection with the orders that you place with us (to give you tracking numbers for your shipment, for example). We also need your email address so that we can answer questions you email to us. We do not use that email address for any other purpose, and we do not give it to other companies. We record only your email address, and only when you tell us that it is your email address (we trust you to not to give a false address, or someone else's address; but if you do, your order might be delayed or rejected altogether).
- If you specifically request us to, we will add your email address to our list of customers who wish to receive a brief email message announcing major changes to our web site, only once or twice a year. To be removed from that list at any time, just call or write, or follow the instructions we include in each announcement email message. We do not add your email address to this list unless you ask us to.
- We keep a record of what you have ordered from us in the past so that we can answer your questions when you call us, and so that we can contact you in the unlikely event that we discover that there were problems with a product you purchased from us. We do not use that information for "marketing purposes", to try to sell you anything else. We believe that our products speak for themselves, and we consider your time to be valuable.
- We are required by Federal law to keep your credit card information on file for 3 years after each use. For your protection (and as required by California law) we keep this and all other financial information encrypted and stored in a secure database, where crackers can not break in and steal it.
- On our web site, we note IP addresses of web surfers so we can keep the web site running smoothly, and to make sure it is working well for teachers all around the world. We associate no personal information whatsoever with your IP address.
- When you go shopping on our web site we store a "cookie" on your PC so that we can maintain a "shopping cart" for your online browsing and purchasing, so that you can build up a list of items you want to order together. There is absolutely no personal information in or associated with the cookie. This is more like a coat room check, it's just a number so we can tell which shopping cart is yours if you leave our web store to surf another web site and then return later. Otherwise, your shopping cart will be emptied every time you step outside our Web Store, and you'll have to begin shopping again from scratch. No personal information is ever with your shopping cart or your browsing ("clicks") until you enter that information at checkout time.
How to contact us:You can write to us to review the personal information we have on record for you, and to correct it if necessary. To protect your privacy, requests for us to send you a copy of the information must be in writing, and must include your complete name, address, phone number, and signature so that we can be sure it's really you asking for it. This information is not accessible on the web, and may not be reviewed on the web by you or by anyone else. Financial information, including credit card numbers, will not be released to you or to anyone else (you already know your credit card number, and no one else has any business knowing the number you used when you made a purchase). You may correct or update your information either in writing or by phone.
Resources for Reading, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Officer
130 East Grand Avenue
South San Francisco, CA 94080
|Telephone & Fax inquiries: